At Angel Road Infant and Nursery School we believe that literacy and communication are key life skills and that through the English curriculum children will be supported to develop the skills and knowledge that will enable them to communicate effectively and creatively with the world at large, through spoken and written language. We ensure that we provide opportunities for the development of children’s writing skills across all areas of the national curriculum.
- To build on children’s phonological awareness and link phonemes (letter sounds) to graphemes (the written representation of a phoneme).
- To develop an interest in words and their meanings (vocabulary).
- To develop an understanding of grammar and knowledge of linguistic conventions for writing such as punctuation.
- To learn and understand how to organise their ideas in writing.
- To understand a range of text types and genres – this will enable a writer to use a variety of styles and forms in their own writing and be able to write for different purposes and audiences.