Scroll to content
School Logo

Angel Road Infant and Nursery School

Happy, Healthy, Aiming High

Contact Us

Moving schools during the school year

Moving to a different school at any time other than the usual admission to Reception class, transfer to junior school or transfer to secondary school, is known as an ‘in-year transfer’.


This could be a move between Norfolk schools, or a move to a Norfolk school from a school in a different area. You will need to make an online application to apply for the new school place, or complete and return an application form.


Under no circumstances should you withdraw your child from their current school before an alternative school place has been allocated.


You can only make one application for a school place in a school year, unless there is a material change of circumstances. For example, a significant house move and you are no longer able to get your child to their previous school. If you want to transfer to a school outside of Norfolk, you need to contact your new local authority to ask about their admissions process.


Apply for an ‘in-year transfer’


How soon can a transfer happen?


Children will usually start their new school at the start of the next term, depending on when the application is received. See the timetable below.


If a family has moved a significant distance and travel to their current school is unreasonable, the below timetable does not apply. The admissions team will process the application as soon as it is received.

Timetable for in-year transfers


Application receivedStart at new school
5 July – 31 OctoberSpring term (after Christmas)
1 November – 28/29 FebruarySummer term (after Easter)
1 March – 31 May*Autumn term (start of new school year)


*Decisions regarding preference(s) will be sent out before the end of the summer term.


For more information go to